May 27, 2020

SJC women edge MMA in two OTs Mariner men top Monks

CASTINE – Brianna Jordan significantly shortened Wednesday night’s bus trip home from Castine for the Saint Joseph’s College women’s soccer team.

The sophomore midfielder scored with 1:41 left in the second overtime to give the Monks a 2-1 triumph over the youthful and resilient Maine Maritime Academy Mariners.

Earlier, Josh McFarlin’s goal with 25:23 remaining broke a 1-1 tie and Jeff Normand added an insurance goal 19:20 later as the MMA men triumphed 3-1 over Saint Joseph’s.

The women’s game pitted two undefeated teams and the Monks dominated play with their superior technical skills and impressive possession game. They outshot MMA 26-5.

Saint Joseph’s had a wide edge in possession but the Mariners defended effectively and received an outstanding performance from freshman goalkeeper Lacey Jackson.

Whitney Linindoll staked the Monks to a 1-0 lead off an Elizabeth Theberge corner with 1:59 left in the first half.

But, totally against the run of play, MMA equalized with 5:36 left in regulation when a picture-perfect corner by Katie Hutchinson was headed powerfully into the back of the net by an unmarked Kelsie Eiane.

Jordan decided it with a well-placed cross from the right corner that sailed over the head of the helpless Jackson and into the far corner of the net.

“We deserved that one,” said Jordan. “I was trying to serve the ball. But that works, too.”

Jordan said it would have been frustrating not to leave Castine with a win after the way they dominated the game.

The Monks (4-0) could have been demoralized after Eiane tied it up but Jordan said, “that pumped us up.”

St. Joseph’s improved to 4-0 while the Mariners fell to 4-1.

“They were the best team we’ve played, by far,” said MMA senior forward Lindsey Comeau. “They possess the ball really well.”

Brianna Jordan and dynamic striker Katie Jordan headlined a dangerous group of forwards and attacking midfielders who kept the Mariners (4-1) in their defensive third for most of the game. Mikayla Call, Linindoll and Theberge were also constant threats.

MMA’s 4-0 start was the best in the program’s history.

But freshmen backs Jessica Stahl, Megan Russell and Sarah Radmore along with sophomore Kim Watts were tenacious and worked very hard to keep the majority of the shots to the perimeter.

Linindoll finally broke through when Theberge’s corner skipped across the penalty area to her at the far post and her low, 14-yarder deflected in off an MMA defender.

Call and Anna Willis had chances to seal the win with a second goal in the second half but both hit the crossbar.

The Mariners were occasionally dangerous with their long, direct passes to the speedy Hutchinson or Comeau and their pressure produced the corner that led to the tying goal.

Jackson finished with seven saves while Katye Mayo had two for Saint Joseph’s.

“Our girls worked hard. We didn’t give them many good opportunities,” said MMA coach Travers Evans.

In the men’s game, Saint Joseph’s had a decided edge in possession and had a 17-6 shots at goal margin.

But the Monks (0-3) weren’t able to convert their build-ups and counters into goals after Doug MacCallum opened the scoring 15:13 into the game.

Tyler Eads equalized with a free kick at the 26:40 mark before McFarlin scored the winner and Normand added his goal.

MacCallum scored when a Joe Happnie cross into a crowded goalmouth was touched by Andre Cushing and squirted to him. MacCallum put a 10-yarder into the near side corner.

Eads’ free kick was from 22 yards, dead center.

“We’ve been working on that. I curled it around the wall,” said Eads, who tucked it inside the post to the left of goalie Greg Cavanaugh.

McFarlin’s goal came when Alan Alexander won a 50-50 ball in the attacking third and passed it to him on the left flank.

“The ball was in the sun and I got to it quicker than their defender, then another defender came right on me and I heard [McFarlin] call for it,” said Alexander.

McFarlin sprinted down the left flank and goalie Cory Smith decided at the last moment to come out at him.

“I’m not much of a left-footed player. He came out near post and I always try to put it far post,” said McFarlin, who directed it into the far side with his left foot.

The Monks threw caution to the wind as they pressed for the equalizer.

Greg Smith blocked a close-range attempt when a long Lane Hubacz throw-in slipped through goalie Randy Bartlett’s hands.

Isaiah Roberts stuck his foot in to deflect Eamonn Harrigan’s 12-yarder off a MacCallum pass and Bartlett made a great fingertip stop off Banak Thiwat, who found himself unmarked after a MacCallum cross skipped to him.

“He tried to go far post and I got my hand on it and parried it over the bar,” said Bartlett.

Normand iced it when Dan Hassett gave him a precise through-ball down the right flank.

Smith did the only thing he could do as he came out to cut down the angle but Normand looked up and calmly slid it past him.

Bartlett finished with seven saves while Cavanaugh and Smith combined for one.

MMA is 2-2-1.

“We had our opportunities but we didn’t capitalize,” said Monks coach Michael Bolanz.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like