December 06, 2019
Archive

Punctured Bangor gas line fixed

BANGOR – Bangor Gas Co. employees Monday finished replacing a natural gas line that was ruptured last week by workers at the Hollywood Slots construction site on Main Street.

A third-party subcontractor for Cianbro Corp. of Pittsfield hit the 6-inch underground pressurized line while drilling a hole Friday afternoon. No one was injured in the incident, but firefighters closed down Main Street for an hour as a precaution.

“The key is there were no customers that were interrupted,” Joe Cote, vice president and general manager for Bangor Gas, said Monday.

The repaired line has one inactive customer and will serve the future Hollywood Slots facility, he said.

The underground gas line, which has been in place for several years, was well-marked by the company, Cote said.

“I don’t have the answer to” why it was hit, he said.

Every time excavations are done, a call is required to Dig Safe System Inc., a communication network used by excavators, contractors and property owners to ensure underground lines are identified, Cote said.

Dig Safe issues a notice to all local utilities, including water, power and gas, to mark lines before an excavation is done. Bangor Gas had received a request to identify the line from Dig Safe and did mark it, Cote said.

To comply with state laws, Bangor Gas filed a report about the incident with the Maine Public Utilities Commission on Monday, as the construction company also is required to do.

“They’ll determine where the fault lies and if there will be any penalties involved,” he said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like