December 02, 2019
Archive

Fire at farmhouse in Littleton causes water, smoke damage

LITTLETON – A two-story farmhouse had considerable water and smoke damage after fire crews put out a blaze that started near a wood stove in the kitchen, officials said.

The Littleton Fire Department responded at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to a structure fire at 787 Front Ridge Road.

Firefighter Jim Watson said Wednesday that when crews arrived, flames were coming out of the roof around the chimney.

“It didn’t look that bad, but it got right up into the eaves and traveled to other sections, making it hard to contain,” Watson said.

The firefighter said it took about an hour and a half to put out the fire, though crews stayed until about 1 a.m. Wednesday to make sure that the fire didn’t flare up.

Watson said that about 10 Littleton firefighters fought the blaze, and that they received mutual aid from the Monticello Fire Department. About 10 men from that department helped to put out the fire.

He said no one was injured, including Chris Drew, who lives in the home.

Watson said the fire started near a wood stove in the kitchen area and then broke out around the chimney. The incident caused considerable water and smoke damage, though no estimate was available, he said.

A town official said the home, owned by Frank Bunderson, was valued at about $65,700. Officials are not sure whether the home was insured.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like