September 19, 2018
Archive

Bangor accepts $75,459 stormwater grant

By DAWN GAGNON, BDN Staff

BANGOR – City councilors accepted on Monday night a $75,459 state grant aimed at helping nearly a half-dozen municipalities and institutions in the local urbanized area wade through new state and federal stormwater management regulations.

Bangor is among several area cities, towns and other entities that belong to the Bangor Area Storm Water Group Inc., formed in 2003 to come up with cost-saving regional initiatives for stormwater pollution prevention, according to City Engineer Jim Ring.

The other members – Brewer, Hampden, Veazie, Orono, Old Town, Milford, the University of Maine, University College of Bangor and the Maine Air National Guard’s Bangor base – also must vote to accept the grant.

The regional effort got off the ground with a $9,800 planning grant, which covered the costs of incorporating as a nonprofit group, developing a strategic plan and completing more than 10 joint projects.

Over the last 18 or so months, the collaborative has saved taxpayers in its member municipalities at least $73,966 in direct costs and much more in less tangible savings, according to a project description provided to city councilors.

The grant that was accepted this week will continue to fuel the group’s work. Among its tasks will be the implementation of parts of the strategic plan and the development of recommendations to the Maine Department of Environmental Protection aimed at limiting the use of local tax dollars in stormwater projects.

The Bangor-area group also wants to host roundtable talks with the state’s three other regional stormwater collaborations, support regional research, pilot stormwater management tools and share technical training.

In other meeting business, the councilors:

. Appropriated an $80,000 grant from the state Office of Substance Abuse for the purpose of strengthening prevention systems in Penobscot and Piscataquis counties.

. Adopted the annual audit report for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006.

. Accepted a $61,632 grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for the housing needs of homeless people with mental illness, substance abuse issues and HIV-related illnesses.

. Budgeted $10,000 for the demolition of a condemned house at 56 Larkin St.

. Recognized local students whose artwork was selected for a recycling calendar sponsored by the State Planning Office. Receiving certificates were Allison Doucette, Katherine Port and Hannah Krietzer of Bangor High School, Mariah Arey of Fourteenth Street School and Ezra Frost of Fairmount School. The Bangor students’ entries were among 1,500 submitted statewide, 13 of which were used in the calendar.

. Rezoned a 0.687-acre parcel housing a mobile home at 53 Davis Road from rural residence and agriculture to low-density residential.

. Granted an auto graveyard/junkyard permit for Smorgon Steel Recycling Inc., formerly known as Metal Recycling Inc., at 2630 outer Broadway.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed