May 23, 2019

Cold War medals

This is to inform anyone who served in the military and certain civil service jobs during the Cold War period from Sept. 2, 1945, to Dec. 26, 1991, that they can receive a Certificate of Recognition from the Department of Defense for service during the Cold War. You can go to the US. Army Web site at, download the request form, and mail your request, with proper certificate of service, to the address provided. The Web site indicates there is a two to three month wait, but it is actually almost a year due to the large number of requests.

There are two bills in Congress, Senate bill S 1351 and House bill HR 2568, which would have DOD issue a Cold War Victory Medal to all service men and women who served during the Cold War. Many who served during that period may not have received a medal or ribbon, with possible exception of a Good Conduct Medal. More information can be found about this medal at Congress, Presidents Clinton, Bush and Reagan, and the secretary of defense have stated that this was a war and we won.

I urge all veterans to read about this medal and contact our elected officials to ask for their support and vote for these bills. Sen. Susan Collins has previously supported a bill to authorize the medal, but it did not get through the House.

I urge everyone to petition our local and state officials to declare May 1st “Cold War Victory Day,” as several states have done in the last two years.

I believe that with the issuance of a medal and a May 1 dedication, it would be a wonderful way to honor those who served with pride and honor.

Jerald Terwilliger

South Portland

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like