August 19, 2019
Archive

Puppies perish in fire that destroys home

CORINTH – A litter of seven mixed-breed puppies died Saturday morning in a fire that destroyed a home on Soule Road.

The man who lived in the two-story structure, as well as the dogs’ mother, were unharmed.

Smoke from the fire awakened Kellen Farrow, 25, about 9 a.m.

“I woke up, I couldn’t breathe,” he said when asked what had happened. “I got out with only the clothes I’m wearing.”

About 90 minutes later, Farrow silently walked past firefighters from Corinth, Hudson, Bradford and Kenduskeag onto Tate Road, where a friend had parked his truck.

The front of Farrow’s green hooded sweat shirt appeared to be stained with black soot.

His parents and grandparents also live on the road in adjacent homes. They weren’t damaged in the fire, Farrow said.

“I’ve lived here all my life,” he said, choking back tears. “My dad’s litter of seven puppies died.”

The fire was started accidentally by a wood stove, Corinth Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said Sunday.

In addition to the wood stove, Farrow used propane to heat the home and for cooking, according to Bragdon. Several propane cylinders exploded due to the fire.

The home was not insured.

Getting trucks and equipment to the house, located about 3,000 feet down the narrow dirt Soule Road, which runs off the Tate Road, was difficult, Bragdon said.

Firefighters blocked off Tate Road to fill a portable water tank.

As water from a Kenduskeag Fire Department tanker truck filled the tank, a hose from a Corinth Fire Department truck sucked it into that vehicle to supply water to a hose that was laid out along the side of Soule Road.

Correction: A story that appeared on the State page in Monday’s edition about a Corinth fire on Saturday in which a litter of puppies died requires clarification about the cause of the fire. The cause of the accidental fire could not be determined, Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said Friday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like