April 08, 2020
Archive

Stove burner ignites fire in Orono home

ORONO – Fire officials said a house fire early Friday was caused by a stovetop accident. Nobody was hurt in the single-story home at 8 Cedarwood St. when the fire was reported about 6:45 a.m.

Orono Fire Department Lt. Mikele Spearing said the home is owned by Tim and Pamela Hackett, who were home at the time.

A wrong burner on the stove was turned on, igniting a frying pan with plastic storage containers that was on the stovetop.

Spearing said fire crews extinguished the flames about half an hour after arriving.

Damage, primarily to the kitchen and dining room, was extensive enough that the couple were planning Friday night to stay with family members in the area, he said. Fire crews also had to ventilate the roof and use fans to remove the smoke from the building.

Correction: This article ran as a photo cutline in the Final edition.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like