April 06, 2020

Man arrested after standoff in Brewer

BREWER – Police blocked off a section of Holyoke Street for several hours Friday before entering a home and taking into custody a man wanted in connection with a domestic assault who refused to come out.

Michael Roy, 25, was wanted on four misdemeanor warrants and for an incident earlier Friday in Eddington where it was reported he assaulted his girlfriend outside a residence. Roy also had access to firearms, although police later determined the guns had remained locked away, untouched.

Roy was found hiding in the attic by a state police dog, but not before a lengthy wait.

The chance that guns may have been involved prompted police to block off a section of Holyoke Street between North Main and Washington streets for 21/2 hours. Residents in several houses in either direction of Roy’s home at 42 Holyoke St. were asked to stay inside their homes; in some cases, authorities urged them to leave.

Four houses down from where police were focusing their attention, a dozen preteen girls reveled in Halloween festivities, bobbing for apples and dancing. The home was decorated outside with a line of lighted skulls, a skeleton in a casket and a ghostly, glowing apparition rising from the earth. Andy Hillman, 31, of Orrington, whose mother was hosting the party, said those inside tried to keep the girls as focused on the party as possible.

But some revelers left early because of the incident.

One father chaperoning the party left about 6:30 p.m., giving in to the tears and fears of one of his daughters as officers from the state police, Brewer, Bangor and the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office waited patiently outside in the street and around Roy’s house.

“Yeah, the girls are scared. They just don’t understand what’s going on,” said the father, who didn’t want to be identified.

Authorities tried by telephone and through the public address system in their cruisers to convince Roy to turn himself in. Repeated warnings for Roy to come out were heard at 7:12 p.m. before police entered the home by key.

“We tried to give him every opportunity to come out,” Sgt. Sean Hashey with the Maine State Police said after the incident.

Roy was taken into custody and escorted in handcuffs down Holyoke Street to the front seat of a state police cruiser about 7:30 p.m., about three hours after the incident began in Eddington.

Authorities were alerted about 4:30 p.m. to a fight involving Roy and his girlfriend at a home in Eddington. Brewer police located Roy’s girlfriend in a vehicle on Route 9 about 15 minutes after the assault report. They then began looking for Roy, according to police.

Roy could face additional charges, Hashey said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like