April 05, 2020

No date set in hotel murder case Suspect has remained in prison since arrest in December, implicated two others

HOULTON – A trial date has yet to be set in the case of a local man accused of beating and stabbing a woman to death inside her motel room last Dec. 9, an Aroostook County Superior Court clerk said Tuesday.

Daniel Boles, the then 30-year-old suspect in the murder of Jacqueline Shorey, 57, of Houlton, has remained in the Aroostook County Jail since being arrested and charged with Shorey’s murder on Dec. 18. Boles implicated two other individuals in the crime and pleaded not guilty to the charge in January.

He later voluntarily submitted fingerprints and a DNA sample to police, his attorney Christopher Leger, said in February.

Shorey’s body was found inside a blood-spattered room at the Scottish Inns motel on Bangor Street. An autopsy determined that the former phlebotomist and school bus driver had died of “multiple trauma to the head and neck” and had been beaten and stabbed.

The trial was originally scheduled to take place this month, but Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson said early this summer that the case was postponed to give Leger time to prepare his defense.

Benson speculated at the time that it would be at least winter before Boles was brought to trial. Neither Benson nor Leger was available for further comment Tuesday.

Investigators believe that Shorey checked into the motel on Dec. 6, and was scheduled to appear at a hearing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court on Dec 9. She then planned to return to Louisiana.

When she did not appear for the hearing, friends asked motel staff to check on her well-being. Her body was discovered later that evening.

According to an affidavit filed by Maine State Police Detective Joshua Haines, Boles said that he had purchased drugs from Shorey on Dec. 4, but denied that he murdered her. He reportedly told investigators that he sat in a vehicle on Dec. 9 while two other men went inside Room 136 of the Scottish Inns to rob her of drugs and cash.

He claimed that the duo had come to his home that morning and asked him for a ride to the motel to carry out a plan to knock Shorey unconscious and “take her drugs and money.”

The victim’s son, Tim Shorey, was incarcerated at the time of the incident and told investigators that his mother had returned to Maine from Louisiana on Dec. 1, and had planned to sell both her own and his prescriptions for oxycodone and Percocet to raise the $10,000 needed for his bail.

According to Boles, the two men that he accompanied to the motel walked into Shorey’s room and ran out to the car between five and seven minutes later with blood on their hands.

The two allegedly told Boles “she resisted” when he asked them what had happened. Boles said that he then went into Shorey’s room, touched her neck and determined that she was dead.

There were no weapons present in the room, according to the affidavit.

Boles added that after the trio left the scene, one of the men gave him four pills and some cash and that both men told him not to speak about the incident or they would kill him.

The two implicated by Boles denied their involvement in the murder during interviews with police and have not been charged.

Investigators maintain that a detective saw apparent bloodstains in a bathroom of a home where Boles is alleged to have changed his pants on Dec. 9.

State police Detective Dale Keegan also saw “small cuts” on the knuckles of Boles’ right hand during an interview on Dec. 11, which he believed appeared recent.

The suspect said that he suffered the injuries after ripping the spark plug wires out of the family car during a spat with his girlfriend.

The woman confirmed the story to police.

In a subsequent interview, the woman told police that on Dec. 4, she, Boles and another individual had purchased pills from the victim. She also said that later that same day, Boles and another person had concocted a plan to rob Shorey at another motel, but later aborted.

Boles was convicted of two counts of theft by unauthorized taking or transfer, two counts of burglary and one count of escape in 1996.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like