One recent night the barn next door burned down. It was a terrifying inferno, with flames lighting up the sky and glowing embers and ash falling onto my home several hundred feet away.
The Bangor Fire Department and fire departments from several of our neighboring towns responded in our aid. They managed to keep the tinder-dry wood and a number of close-by houses from going up in smoke.
I am thankful that TABOR has not yet passed, impoverishing our public service departments. Otherwise, the incredible response from several towns would likely not have been possible, and I and my neighbors could easily be facing homelessness today.