January 21, 2020

Tips for displaced workers

Contact creditors immediately

If you will have difficulty paying bills as a result of loss of household income, let your creditors know now, before you become delinquent on bills. Tell them the circumstances and negotiate for reduced or delayed payment. Note the name of the person with whom you speak and the date and follow up all phone calls in writing by summarizing the terms that were negotiated.

Use assistance programs

The Penobscot County Transition Team publishes a resource guide available to displaced workers that summarizes assistance programs. For information, call Penquis CAP at 973-3558.

Look into several programs

Each program and service provider may have different income and asset guidelines. Being denied for one program does not necessarily mean you will be denied for all.

Know your health care options

Check with your family doctor to see whether reduced fees for services are available.

Visit the Career Center

Opportunities are available to individuals seeking employment and training. For information, call 561-4050.

Information provided by Penobscot County Transition Team. The team includes local organizations, business leaders and lawmakers whose goal is to help workers recover from layoffs and closures.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like