June 06, 2020

Belfast man wanted on warrants also faces driving, sex charges

Hampden police arrested a 45-year-old Belfast man Sunday, charging him with unlawful sexual contact one day after he allegedly fondled a 13-year-old relative.

Called to the Hampden residence Saturday, a Hampden police officer found that Epifanio Benitez Jr. had left the home by car. Hampden police Officer Mark Egan contacted Benitez by telephone and convinced the man to return to Hampden from Belfast where he had driven.

Benitez returned to Hampden on Sunday where he was interviewed and arrested. At the time, Benitez was wanted on two court warrants, and he also was charged with operating a motor vehicle after license suspension. He was released from Penobscot County Jail about 5 p.m. Monday, a jail corrections officer said.

Three men, two of whom were on parole from Texas, were arrested in Brewer recently after authorities were tipped off that the men would be receiving a package containing 21 pounds of marijuana.

Joel Cantu, 33, of Texas is being held at Penobscot County Jail on a hold requested by authorities in Texas where he was wanted on a warrant for failure to appear in court on a marijuana charge, according to a jail official. Brewer police also charged him with aggravating trafficking in drugs. A second person, David Perez, 25, of Winterport, also remained at Penobscot County Jail, unable to make bail of $10,000 surety or $1,000 cash for unlawful trafficking of a scheduled drug. Information about the third man arrested in the Brewer sting was not available.

In a prepared statement issued Monday, Brewer officials said they intercepted a package that the city’s drug detection dog determined contained drugs. Investigators obtained a search warrant and confirmed that about 21 pounds of marijuana was inside, according to the statement. Later that day, one of the three men picked up the package and was arrested.

A former employee of The Home Depot store in Bangor was caught returning two rolls of insulation he didn’t buy early Monday morning. He was charged with theft and banned from the store.

A loss prevention officer for the store on Longview Drive reported that Travis Noyes, 26, of Hermon was spotted entering the store empty-handed and went to the aisle where the insulation is kept and picked up two large rolls. He went to the return counter to get cash for the items, but when confronted a short time later, Noyes fled on foot.

He ran to the Target store parking lot where he got into a pickup truck driven by an older man later identified as Noyes’ father, Bangor police Officer Kerry Libby reported. Noyes and his father both said the father knew nothing about the incident, according to the police report.

– Compiled by BDN reporter Doug Kesseli

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like