May 26, 2019
Archive

Loose power line sets fire, causes blackout

BAR HARBOR – A main power line onto Mount Desert Island came loose from a utility pole on Route 102 late Tuesday evening knocking out power to customers in sections of the town, and blocking the road for several hours.

The first report of the problem came at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. The line came down from the pole near EBS store on Route 102 and fell across the road, blocking traffic. The live line arced, sending sparks along the road that could be seen over the treetops more than a mile away. The sparks set a small fire in a ditch, according to Bar Harbor fire officials.

There did not appear to be any accident that would have caused the line to break free from the pole, officials said.

Police and firefighters, along with crews from Bangor Hydro- Electric Co. were still on the scene at 8:30 p.m. At that time, there was no indication how many people were without power.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like