CALAIS – Officials at the Washington County Community College continue to investigate a classroom incident Wednesday that left a student enrolled in the school’s heating program with burns over a portion of his body.
Citing confidentiality, WCCC President William Cassidy did not reveal the student’s name or the extent of his injuries. The student was taken to Calais Regional Hospital. “It was serious enough to warrant him being held in the hospital,” Cassidy said.
Around 1 p.m. about 15 students were working on a domestic gas furnace used for educational purposes when gas ignited and the students were burned.
Cassidy said that the college was conducting an internal investigation. “We will follow up with an independent group to review our process, procedures and so on,” he said.
He said the school reported the incident to its insurance carrier.