December 12, 2019

Bail set for 2 men charged in Greenbush incident Police seek unidentified third suspect, van

BANGOR – Two men charged with a pair of felony counts of robbery and terrorizing after a weekend domestic dispute in Greenbush made their initial court appearances in 3rd District Court in Bangor Tuesday.

Bail for Shawn Cameron, 37, of Veazie was set at $25,000 cash or $100,000 surety, while bail for Jack Monroe, 41, of Milford was set at $10,000 cash or $25,000 surety.

Cameron, a father of two, is on disability leave after suffering a work-related injury at an unidentified fencing company. Monroe, also a father of two, is a custodian of 14 years at the University of Maine in Orono.

University spokesman Joe Carr confirmed Tuesday that Monroe was an employee, and stated that it was too early to know whether any action would be taken against him by the school. As is university policy, any personnel matters will be confidential should the school take action, Carr said.

Friends and family of Monroe tearfully listened as his bail and conditions were set at the initial court appearance Tuesday afternoon.

Both men are charged with Class A robbery and Class C terrorizing. Conditions of bail prevent either man from returning to the town of Greenbush or possessing or using a firearm.

The pair allegedly drove Sunday night to the home of Larry Leighton on the Aloha Road in Greenbush in a blue van with a third individual to confront Leighton about his relationship with Monroe’s girlfriend, Leighton said. Upon arrival at the home, Cameron and Monroe reportedly forced Leighton, who was outside, back into his house. Cameron was carrying a .30-30 rifle.

Inside the home the three talked and, after a while, Monroe was satisfied with what Leighton had to say, Leighton said. Monroe left, taking the rifle from Cameron and returning to the waiting van driven by an as yet unidentified individual.

Cameron, however, remained in the home, grabbed Leighton by the throat and demanded money, Leighton said. Leighton instead grabbed a 9 mm handgun he had hidden in a desk drawer and fired two shots as Cameron fled the home. Leighton fired one more shot as Cameron ran to the van.

Officials with the Maine State Police later confirmed that two of the shots passed through Cameron’s right leg. Cameron was found hours later at a trailer in Veazie where his girlfriend lives and was taken into custody by members of the Orono and Veazie police departments. Monroe was found driving a car in Greenbush. The van and the third individual had not been located or identified as of Tuesday evening.

Cameron’s bail was higher than Monroe’s because of a history of assault and violation of bail convictions, Deputy District Attorney Mike Roberts said. Cameron was also the leader of the attempted robbery while Monroe was an accomplice, said Roberts.

Both men remained in Penobscot County Jail Tuesday evening and will make their next appearance in court for a probable cause hearing at 1 p.m. Oct. 16.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like