November 18, 2019
b

Mobile home addition damaged by blaze

LAGRANGE – A chimney connected to a wood stove was cited as the origin of a fire Friday that destroyed an addition to a mobile home on Route 155.

According to Fire Chief Roger Stanley, the fire began about 2 p.m. What began as a chimney fire spread to a wall and then to the roof of an addition that the mobile home’s tenants apparently used as a sitting room.

Though firefighters stopped the fire before it spread to the mobile home itself, Stanley said, the fire proved stubborn because the addition’s roof consisted of several layers with air spaces sandwiched between them.

Stanley said that the mobile home, which belongs to John Drake of LaGrange, was occupied by a local couple, whose names were unavailable late Friday afternoon. A woman who was home when the fire began escaped without injury and reported the fire from a neighboring residence. A man who also resided at the mobile home was at work at the time.

About 20 firefighters from LaGrange, Alton and Howland remained at the scene for about two hours, Stanley said. He estimated damage at about $6,000. The addition and its contents were not insured, he said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like