April 01, 2020

Monson fire destroys home; stove blamed

MONSON – A wood stove-related fire swept through an elderly Monson man’s home Monday, demolishing everything the man owned.

When firefighters arrived at Daniel Gallagher’s home on the Elliottsville Road about 12:30 p.m., the fire had already consumed one wall and was raging throughout the remainder of the small home, according to Terry Gaudet, Monson’s deputy fire chief.

Nobody was home at the time a passing motorist reported the fire, according to Gaudet.

He said the cause of the fire was not suspicious.

Gallagher had no insurance coverage for the fire loss, the deputy chief said.

Firefighters were concerned early about an older-model truck that was parked close to the home. Gaudet said the truck and the wall closest to the vehicle were drenched with water to prevent an explosion.

Guilford and Sangerville firefighters assisted Monson firefighters at the scene while Greenville firefighters remained on standby at the Monson station.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like