June 16, 2019

Orrington man charged with license offenses

An Orrington man who apparently has tried to pass himself off as a police officer in the past was arrested early Sunday morning.

Brewer police charged Richard Bingaman, 36, with operating a motor vehicle after license suspension and with possession of a suspended and altered license.

The license showed signs that it had been tampered with, including a second photograph that didn’t completely cover the original license picture. It was also laminated with a thinner material. On the back of the license was a sticker with words “Maine State Police Trooper” on it.

Questionned by police, Bingaman backed off from any claims that he was a police officer, but told Officer Keith Emery that he was certified to be one, just wasn’t one at that time.

Emery had stopped Bingaman’s GMC Jimmy for speeding on South Main Street in Brewer shortly before 4 a.m. after recognizing the vehicle and its “Thrush” vanity plate from past incidents. He confirmed through dispatch that Bingaman’s license was suspended.

Emery reported that several months earlier Bingaman had run a red light and nearly struck another vehicle telling the other driver when confronted that he was a police officer.

As for the change in photographs on his expired license, Bingaman told Emery that he needed to change it to reflect his new hair style.


Brewer police arrested a South Main Street man, charging him with domestic assault Saturday and returned several hours later to arrest a witness to the assault on a criminal trespassing charge.

Brewer police were called to 580 South Main St. about 12:30 a.m. for a report of an assault, although the alleged assault occurred several hours earlier.

According to the police, Terence Hyson, 37, struck his girlfriend in the nose and Officer Keith Emery reported that the woman’s nose showed some swelling.

There was a discrepancy as to how she got the injury. Hyson claimed his girlfriend injured her nose while moving furniture around the residence, but the girlfriend eventually admitted that Hyson had slapped her in the nose. A woman staying with them, identified as 43-year-old Cynthia Moore, said Hyson punched the girlfriend in the nose, according to police. Hyson was arrested shortly before 1 a.m.

In less than three hours, Moore would be in police custody. In between the arrests, Hyson’s girlfriend called police to say that Moore was intoxicated, loud and no longer welcome at the residence.

Emery said he called a taxi for Moore and told her before she left that she would be arrested if she returned. Moore did return, apparently to pick up beer and wine she had left behind. When Emery arrived, Moore had already left again in the taxi, which Emery stopped about a mile from the residence.

He charged Moore with criminal trespass and with violation of bail conditions. As part of bail from a previous arrest, Moore was not to possess alcohol.

— Compiled by NEWS reporter Doug Kesseli

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like