March 18, 2019
BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Vinalhaven fire injures 2 people, destroys house

VINALHAVEN — Fire destroyed an island home Wednesday night, sending one burn victim to Maine Medical Center in Portland by emergency helicopter.

Fire Chief Mark Candage on Thursday would not release the names of the two people who were in their rented house at the time of the blaze.

The couple, whom he described as being in their late teens or early 20s, were both injured. The man was taken to Maine Medical Center by LifeFlight of Maine, an emergency helicopter service. Telford Aviation from Knox County Regional Airport took the woman to Penobscot Bay Medical Center, where she was treated and then released, according to the fire chief.

The home was owned by Bunny Sheppard, Candage said.

The fire, which was still under investigation by the State Fire Marshal’s Office, is believed to have started from a candle, Candage said.

The fire gutted the house and caused extensive smoke, heat and water damage, Candage said.

Twenty-eight firefighters and four firetrucks responded to the blaze, which took about two hours to extinguish. Efforts were hampered by icy and windy conditions, he said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like