June 06, 2020

Police charge man with assaulting girl> Offender currently serving sentence

A 31-year-old convicted child molester was charged with assault Sunday morning after he allegedly fondled a young girl in a restaurant parking lot.

Brian P. Moreau was arrested by Bangor police near Shaw’s Supermarket on Main Street. He is expected to be arraigned today. He is currently serving a sentence for molesting a 12-year-old boy. With four months left of that sentence, he now lives in the Bangor pre-release unit to prepare him for freedom, police said.

Police were called to Papa Gambino’s Pizza at 395 Main Street about 11 a.m. Sunday, where an employee of the store explained that she had seen a man bothering an 11-year-old girl who had been on her bicycle in the restaurant parking lot.

The girl was crying when police arrived, and she told them that a man had held her bike and wouldn’t let her go. The girl told police that he had touched her hair, arm and elbow. The Gambino’s employee confronted the man and he then walked to the nearby Shaw’s. Police arrested him soon after.

In August 1995, Moreau vanished from his apartment in Portland while on probation after serving five years for molesting a 12-year-old boy, his third child-sex conviction as an adult. A month later he was arrested in Florida.

Moreau subsequently refused an offer from the prosecution that would have kept him behind bars for two years then put him on probation for five years. He was instead given six years and 10 months and was expected to be out in about four years with good behavior.

Moreau had refused the offer because the prosecution insisted that he have no contact with other sex offenders during the five years of probation. Moreau had credited his companion, Sheldon “Buster” Gilmore, also a convicted child-sex offender, as helping him stay away from children.

Under the sentence he was given, Moreau will be free to associate with Gilmore upon his release. —-

Bradford Rose, 43, of Calais was arrested for operating under the influence of alcohol, operating after suspension and on assault charges in the early hours of Saturday in Bangor. But his troubles weren’t over. When he showed up a day later at the impoundment lot to claim the car he had been driving, which was his girlfriend’s, he said he had a friend to drive it, according to the police report.

Police arrested Rose as he was driving away from the lot. He was charged with operating after suspension and violation of bail conditions. —-

Three patrons of the Big Apple Store at 146 State St. in Bangor wrestled a man to the ground after he allegedly walked out without paying for a six-pack of beer Saturday at 2:30 a.m. The store’s clerk, Darla Dence, had told Bart McCarthy, 26, that beer could not be sold after 1 a.m. When she was about to put the beer behind the counter, McCarthy grabbed the beer, pulling Dence against the counter.

Dence screamed and three men outside, who had just left the store, ran toward McCarthy, who threw the beer at them. They subdued him until police arrived. McCarthy was charged with robbery and failure to submit to arrest. —-

Jeremia Goodall, 21, was arrested at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday after activating the fire alarm box located near the sidewalk at Stillwater Avenue and North Main Street in Old Town. Goodall and two friends, all of whom were intoxicated, according to police, continued to amble along after pulling the alarm. Police arrived minutes later and questioned the men. Goodall was charged with filing a false public report.

— Compiled by Wyatt Olson

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like