August 23, 2019
BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Fire destroys Corinna home > 2 injured while fighting flames worsened by high winds

CORINNA — A wind-whipped fire Monday morning destroyed a home and garage on Town Line Road in Corinna.

Firefighters from five towns battled the blaze at the Joe Mayhew residence for more than four hours.

Mayhew was working on a van in his garage around 9 a.m. when a spark ignited a fire. He attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher and was forced to reach for a water hose, according to Corinna Fire Chief Dennis Woodard. Mayhew’s wife called the Fire Department as her husband tried in vain to battle the increasing flames.

A short circuit in the garage’s electrical system opened the overhead doors, providing oxygen and winds exceeding 35 mph, Woodard said. The fire quickly spread into the woods behind the home, traveling several hundred yards before firefighters could bring it under control.

Firefighters from St. Albans brought equipment for battling a woods fire, applying foam that ultimately extinguished the fire.

On arrival, Woodard believed firefighters could save the Mayhew home attached to the garage.

“Once [the fire] got above that false ceiling, there was no stopping it,” he said. “It’s a total loss.”

Two people were injured battling the fire, Woodard said. An unidentified firefighter suffered burns to the face and neck. He was treated and sent home. Mayhew burned his hand severely trying to fight the initial fire.

Fire departments responded to the fire from Dexter, St. Albans, Garland and Newport.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like