April 06, 2020

Two hurt when tractor-trailer hits pickup on I-95

Two people were injured and traffic along the northbound lane of Interstate 95 in Etna was tied up for more than an hour following a tractor-trailer accident Thursday evening.

The accident was actually the second of two state police investigated in the area.

State Trooper Bryce Patrock reported that at about 7:40 p.m. Leonard Constantine, 45, of Natick, Mass., was hauling two snowmobiles as he approached the first accident. So he slowed down and moved into the breakdown lane.

Roughly 100 yards from the first accident, Constantine’s pickup truck was struck from behind by a tractor-trailer hauling paper goods and driven by Guildo Cyr, 45, of Clair, New Brunswick.

The pickup truck rolled over and the tractor-trailer jackknifed and remained sprawled across the interstate. Patrock estimated that traffic was blocked along the interstate for about 90 minutes.

Constantine and his passenger, Mike Swanson, 25, were both treated at St. Joseph Hospital in Bangor and released, a hospital official said. Constantine was wearing a seat belt, but Swanson wasn’t, the trooper said.

The collision spread debris across the interstate. In what seemed reminiscent of a scene after an explosion, Patrock said, one sled was sent into the breakdown lane and the other wound up in the median, across the lane.

“There was just debris everywhere,” the trooper said.

He said the tractor-trailer was going too fast for the road conditions, which contributed to the accident. Information about the first accident was not immediately available.


A man wanted in Bangor for allegedly stealing a car and possibly two diamond rings was arrested in Wells late Wednesday night following a high-speed chase.

Eric James David, 19, faces charges in York County of receiving stolen property, eluding a police officer and passing a roadblock.

The stolen car was noticed on Route 109 by Sanford police, who said the vehicle was being driven erratically, according to a statement by the Sanford Police Department.

When the car wouldn’t stop for Sanford police, Wells police set up a spike mat that punctured three tires, slowing the car until it struck a temporary median on Route 109, Exit 2, of the Maine Turnpike.

David, the only person in the car, was not injured and was arrested at the scene, the statement said.

Bangor police had been looking for David since about 8 p.m. Wednesday when an Ohio Street woman reported he had stolen her car. Bangor police also are investigating whether David took two diamond rings from the woman’s apartment.

A motorist in a car that matched the description of the stolen vehicle reportedly stole some gasoline from a State Street convenience store that same evening.

The Ohio Street woman told Officer James Dearing that she was a tutor for David, a former Penobscot Job Corps student. She said she fell asleep and when she awoke she found her keys and car missing. David left a note behind, which has been turned over to Bangor detectives and was not immediately available.

Dearing reported that a 1/4-carat diamond ring, worth $300 and a 3/4-carat diamond, worth $1,100 belonging to two women in the apartment, had been reported missing.

David was seen at the Penobscot Job Corps later in the evening, and officials there had called police to have him removed. Dearing said David was gone by the time he arrived.


A Shaw’s Supermarket official gave chase to a woman who tried to take eight cases — 240 cans — of beer from the store without paying for them. When the Shaw’s official confronted Deborah Prosper, 37, a transient, outside the store where she had walked with the cart full of beer, she fled, without the beer, reported Officer Joel Nadeau.

The Shaw’s official followed her to Main and Barker streets before he lost her, according to the police report. Nadeau broadcast Prosper’s description to other officers and she was located by Officer Cliff Worcester near Cedar and First streets.


Three people, including two juveniles, were taken into custody Wednesday afternoon after they reportedly tried to take cigarettes and other items from the Wal-Mart store in Bangor.

Charged with the theft were Tara Gilbert, 20, and a 13-year-old boy from Plymouth and a 14-year-old girl from Carmel — both of whom had apparently been staying at the Shaw House in Bangor. Another 14-year-old girl who was present was not charged.

Wal-Mart officials told Officer Cliff Worcester that the two juveniles implicated in the incident had hidden a combined three cartons of cigarettes in their clothing when they walked out of the store around 2:40 p.m. Gilbert was apparently serving as lookout, although the 13-year-old later told police Gilbert was hiding some Winnie the Pooh items, which she produced for Worcester. A Winnie the Pooh necklace was later found in her pocket at the Penobscot County Jail.

The 14-year-old girl was released to the Shaw House after her father was contacted. The 13-year-old boy became unruly at the Bangor police station. He reportedly was taken to the youth corrections facility in Charleston.

— Compiled by Doug Kesseli

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like