July 13, 2020

Witnesses see fireballs in sky near Madawaska> FAA reports no aircraft lost in northern Maine

MADAWASKA — Two people, 20 miles apart and in different countries, reported a bright flash in the northern Maine sky Tuesday night. A third person, out for an evening walk, heard an explosion or series of explosions in the distance.

The Federal Aviation Administration flight service at Bangor and Boston both reported no missing aircraft. “That’s the extent of our involvement,” said an officer on duty in Boston.

Pam Pelletier of St. Agatha was walking with her dog along Hillside Road in St. Agatha about 7:30 p.m. when she heard a noise in the direction of Frenchville and Madawaska, north and northeast of where she was walking.

“It sounded like an explosion, a thunderclap. I was walking with a hood over my head when I heard this. It was like a series of explosions, more than one, maybe as many as seven or eight of them,” said Pelletier.

She didn’t see anything in the sky.

Luke Dyer and Bruce Pelletier, police officers on patrol in Madawaska on Tuesday night, received a call from Grace Ouellette, who lives at Long Lake in Madawaska.

Ouellette said Wednesday she and her husband were traveling south on Beaulieu Road in Madawaska “when I saw an orangelike ball. I thought it was a plane in trouble. It was orange and had, like, flashing white lights.

“It was almost like something had exploded off into the woods it went. It wasn’t high in the sky and it was coming down. It seemed quite low,” said Ouellette.

She assumed it was a plane. When she got home, on the east side of Long Lake, she could see the lights of the Frenchville airport, located at the north end of Long Lake.

Officer Richard Martin of the Fort Kent Police Department said he received a telephone call from Roger Bard of St. Francois, New Brunswick, about seeing a ball of fire in the sky at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Bard could not be reached Wednesday.

Martin said, “I was told the red ball of fire had fallen behind the mountains on the American side of the St. John River. The man said it didn’t look like a falling star.”

Martin and Dyer checked with each other on the reports. They called the state police at Houlton who verified with the FAA that no planes were missing in northern Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like