April 08, 2020
BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Stove suspected in Exeter fire

EXETER — Fire officials believe a wood stove was the likely cause of a fire that engulfed a house early Saturday evening while five people were inside.

Dennis and Mary Wright, her son and two friends left unharmed when the blaze tore through the garage of their home at the corner of Exeter Mills and Eaton roads.

Because the home’s remote location made water transportation difficult, firefighters from seven departments were called in for assistance. Jim Emerson, assistant chief of the Corinna Fire Department, said Corinna firefighers arrived just after 6 p.m. and didn’t leave until shortly before midnight.

“It was a real difficult fire,” he said. “The place had been remodeled. We had to tear all the ceilings down and poke holes in the wall.”

No estimate had been made on the damage as of late Sunday. The family did not have insurance.

According to Emerson, there was a wood stove in the garage area, where a resident had been attempting to fix a car earlier in the day. “We’re not positive at this point,” Emerson said, “but that’s where it probably started.”

When East Corinth firefighters arrived on the scene, the garage was already engulfed. Firefighters from Newport, Dexter, Garland, Glenburn and Dover-Foxcroft also assisted in dousing the blaze.

Emerson said the Wrights sought shelter Saturday at a Newport motel.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like