HUDSON — For the second night in a row, Hudson firefighters braved the cold to fight a structure fire. The fire, reported about 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, consumed a residence on the Alton Tannery Road, leaving a family of four homeless.
Mutual aid crews from neighboring Alton, Bradford, Corinth and Glenburn responded early to assist because two of Hudson’s fire engines were not functioning after Tuesday night’s fire that burned a log home on the Whitmore Landing Road.
Steve Scovil, his wife, Loretta, and her son Christopher Stearns, 19, were inside their one-story home when the fire was discovered in a back bedroom. Loretta’s daughter Alysia, 16, was with friends, according to Steve Scovil.
Loretta Scovil’s wrist was injured when she fell inside the home, and Steve Scovil cut both hands when he slipped on ice while attempting to round up his three dogs in a wire kennel in the back yard. Both were going to be brought to Eastern Maine Medical Center by a close relative.
No firefighters were injured at the scene.
According to Steve Scovil, the home had smoke detectors, but they didn’t sound because the home had no electricity. The family’s electricity was just about to be restored at the time of the fire, he said, with Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. crews working on the power lines just down the street.
Largly due to the extra personnel of about 35 firefighters, the fire was under control within 10 minutes, according to Hudson Assistant Fire Chief Bill Grant. He mentioned that the Fire Department went to a fire at the Scovil residence a year ago for a dryer fire, but couldn’t say what had caused Wednesday night’s fire, which gutted the home.
All that remained after the fire crews left two hours later was the frame of the house, a snowmobile, and the kennel with the three barking dogs safely inside.
The family was going to spend the evening at a close relative’s residence. After that, they didn’t know what they would do.