April 07, 2020

Police report armed robbery> Computer equipment taken from store

Bangor police are looking for a man who robbed a computer store at gunpoint Monday night.

The robbery happened at the Technology Source store on the Odlin Road, shortly after 7 p.m, police reported. The robber used a handgun and ordered the lone employee to lie on the floor.

The robber then took three laptop computers and some computer equipment and fled from the store.

Police reported that the store’s employee obeyed the robber’s orders and was unharmed.

The robber was described as 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a thin build. He was in his late teens and had reddish-blond wavy hair that went just over the ears. The robber wore wire-rimmed glasses and a black leather jacket.

The robber left the store and drove off in a small to midsized red sedan, police reported, headed toward Interstate 395. The robbery was reported around 7:20 p.m., and an alert to law enforcement officials went out shortly afterward.

Bangor police stated that anyone with information about the robbery may contact the police station at 947-7382, Ext. 255. —-

An Eddington man was released from a Bangor hospital this weekend, several days after he was run over accidentally by a Brewer police cruiser.

Stephen Brooks, 31, of Eddington was released from Eastern Maine Medical Center on Saturday, a nursing supervisor reported. Thursday morning Brooks was allegedly intoxicated and lying on the ground near the entrance of a towing company off the Sparks Road in Brewer when he was struck by the cruiser.

State Trooper Clifford Sibley is investigating the accident and said Brewer Sgt. Daryl Massey didn’t see Brooks, who was wearing dark clothing and was obscured from view by a snowbank and the shadow of a building.

Sibley didn’t know the extent of Brooks’ injuries. He estimated that Massey was traveling 5 to 10 mph at the time of the accident and that the cruiser traveled about 20 to 25 feet after Brooks was struck. Sibley said the cruiser had to be jacked up to extricate Brooks from underneath.

The accident happened around 2 a.m. when Massey was sent to the towing company to check on Brooks, whose car had been towed earlier because Brooks was intoxicated, police said.

Sibley said he has nearly completed his investigation, but to date has been unable to contact Brooks.


A representative of the St. John’s Episcopal Church in Bangor reported recently that someone took $94 from the church safe. The theft apparently happened around 12:30 p.m. Jan. 1.

A man working inside the church reported to Officer Paul Edwards that it was at that time that he had heard a door slam. He later found his blue and white duffelbag was missing. The bag’s contents included a credit card, two checkbooks from the Franciscan Brothers and some personal papers.

A church official later told Edwards that the money had been taken from the safe and that the church would be taking steps to prevent a similar occurrence from happening again.


A representative of the now-closed Better Homes store in Bangor’s downtown reported he suspected foul play after he said more than $20,000 in damage was done to the building when frozen pipes caused flooding inside. The man said he thought someone had entered the building through a door left unlocked and turned off emergency switches that controlled the heat.

Bangor police told the man that it would be difficult to verify that the damage had been caused by vandalism.

— Compiled by Doug Kesseli

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like