April 05, 2020

Three charged in Bangor motel fracas

New Year’s Eve in Bangor was, as usual, a busy night for police. And, as usual, the bulk of the problems did not involve drunken driving.

There were no arrests Wednesday night for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, a lack of activity Bangor police dispatcher Susan Ellis said is fairly typical for the holiday.

“We usually don’t have many OUIs on New Year’s Eve,” she said. “People know the police are out looking, so they tend to take cabs. … It was a busy night, but they were busy with other things.”

Complaints about assaults and trespassing were among the problems that kept police busy.

Only hours into the new year, three people were arrested following a fracas outside the Ranger Inn on Hammond Street in Bangor. Police were sent to the motel at about 2:20 a.m., and John Skroski, a Penobscot County sheriff’s deputy, said he found 10 to 12 people yelling and swearing in the motel’s parking lot.

Skroski said he saw Karen Randall, 35, of Glenburn run after another woman, identified as Valerie Bragg, 32, of Eddington, and tackle her, throwing Bragg against the bumper of a taxicab. The two wrestled on the ground, and Randall refused his orders to stop, he said. She only conceded when she was given a dose of pepper spray.

Randall was taken to St. Joseph Hospital to have the pepper spray cleansed from her eyes and to be treated for minor injuries she suffered in the fight, Skroski reported. She was then taken to the Penobscot County Jail and was charged with assault and disorderly conduct.

Bragg was arrested by Bangor police Officer Steve Jordan, who arrived to find the fight over but tempers still flaring. He reported that Bragg was trying to start a fight with anyone.

Despite warnings to quiet down, Jordan reported, Bragg started to argue with a man inside the motel’s lobby. She then allegedly pushed the man against a wall, hard enough to knock a stuffed animal’s head off the wall.

Jordan arrested Bragg and charged her with assault and disorderly conduct.

Bangor police also reported that Gerald T. Rich Jr., 33, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.

Residents of an Ohio Street building complained to police just before 11 p.m. Wednesday about an intoxicated man pounding on doors inside.

Police reported that they transported the man, who identified himself as “Stash Belch,” to the police station. While there, he remained agitated, yelled at an “unseen person” and was made to clean up the lobby after he spit on the counter top and glass.

According to police, the man was charged with criminal trespassing.

A Levant man who turned his back in a Bangor Rite Aid postal station Wednesday told police that someone took his 5,400 “Marlboro miles,” bar codes from cigarette cartons used to buy Marlboro merchandise.

According to a Bangor police report, the man had placed his collection of “miles” in a clear plastic bag in preparation for mailing. The bag disappeared while he turned to address an envelope, the man stated.

He told police that a woman with strawberry blond hair and a tan leather jacket was the only customer to pass by while he was in the mail station.

A security guard at St. Joseph Hospital in Bangor called police at about noon Thursday to ask for help in removing a former patient from the facility.

Upon arriving at the emergency department, Bangor police officers reported, a nurse confirmed that the woman in question had been discharged. The woman, who insisted that another doctor had readmitted her to the hospital, told police she wasn’t ready to go and said they would have to “drag” her out, according to a police report.

The woman held up her wrists to help police arrest her, which they did on a charge of criminal trespassing.

A stuffed animal head — of “unknown species,” according to police — was one victim in an assault early New Year’s Day at the Ranger Inn on Hammond Street in Bangor.

Police went to the inn about 2:30 a.m. Thursday in response to a disturbance. Shortly after arriving, they reported, an Eddington woman began arguing with a man known as “George” and pushed him against the wall, knocking the stuffed animal head to the floor.

The woman was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and assault.

— Compiled by Jenna Russell and Doug Kesseli

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like