July 15, 2019

Truck tangles with telephone lines> Thieves take cash, goods, money for charity from Bangor convenience store

A tractor trailer got caught up in telephone lines at Green Point Auto in Brewer Monday afternoon, yanking down the lines and part of the pole in the process.

Brewer Police Sgt. Arden Jones said the falling telephone lines struck a commercial van traveling down the Green Point Road, tearing the roof rack off it and scraping along the side of the vehicle as well as doing other damage. The van driver kept driving. Jones was told later that the van’s driver didn’t stop because he feared the lines were live electric wires.

Jones estimated damage to the van at $800. He said the accident is still under investigation and that he will be contacting the truck’s driver today.

The Stillwater Convenience & Deli in Bangor was broken into sometime late Friday or early Saturday morning and thieves took $2,150 in cash and another $200 in cigarettes and beer.

Not only did the burglars break into the cash register, but they also took $300 in a jar earmarked for charity. Each day employees drop money into the jar and at the end of the year the money is given to charity.

Also taken was $1,500 in cash in an envelope, $350 in rolled coins, 10 cartons of cigarettes and two packages containing 60 beers.

A Bangor man reported that sometime last week, possibly Tuesday, someone took a large black case from his car. The case contained three trumpets and mouthpieces, valued at $4,850.

Over the weekend, someone with a green thumb and sticky fingers took 22 juniper shrubs the state had recently planted off Interstate 95. Ten of the shrubs were planted along the southbound off ramp on Hammond Street and 12 were planted on the southbound on ramp on Broadway. The total value of the junipers was $724.

A Bangor man reported finding unidentified bones along the Penobscot River near the intersection of State Street and the Hogan Road Sunday. The bones, found diagonally across from a doctor’s office, were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center where hospital officials indicated that they were animal bones. The police are getting a second opinion.

It’s 1:53 in the morning and do you know where your kids are? Parents of two children apparently didn’t early Monday morning.

On a routine patrol shortly before 2 a.m. Monday, Bangor Officer John Robinson spotted two young people who turned out to be a 14-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl walking along the Finson Road.

The pair first told Robinson that they were brother and sister and that they were heading home. Under further questioning, however, Robinson learned that the two weren’t related and that they had just come from the Oak Grove Cemetery. They also confessed that they were supposed to be home in bed, asleep.

The parents were contacted and Robinson took the girl to her home on Mount Desert Drive. The boy, who lives on the New Boston Road in Hermon, was picked up at the police station by his mom.

Two Brewer boys, apparently angry at their mother for imposing a curfew Monday, ran away from their Holyoke Street home. They were found a few hours later.

The 7-year-old and 9-year-old brothers were last seen at home shortly before 5 p.m. and had left a note telling their mother they were running away. They were found about 3 1/2 hours later walking across the Veterans RemembranceBridge. They told Brewer Patrolman Fred Luce that they had walked from Brewer to Orrington and back and were headed to Bangor.

A New York woman heading home Sunday afternoon told Bangor Police Officer James Buckley that while staying in Bar Harbor with a friend, she was assaulted by that friend.

Buckley met the woman at Bangor International Airport around 4:30 p.m. and reported that the woman wasn’t sure what she wanted done about the matter, just that she wanted Bar Harbor police notified because her male friend is dangerous.

Bangor police were called to the Bangor Mall Saturday afternoon for a dog locked in a hot car. Using a coat hanger, Bangor Police Officer Jeff Millard was able to liberate the pup, who eagerly took a long drink of cool water offered it. The Bangor Humane Society was called and took the puppy from the Nova Scotia car for safekeeping.

— Compiled by Doug Kesseli

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like