April 04, 2020
BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Cool children save building from fire

A working smoke detector and the quick action of two Bangor children were instrumental in saving a Wiley Street home, which caught fire Tuesday morning.

Patrick Rice, 11 and Kimberly Rice, 9, the children of Michael and Penny Rice, were home alone getting ready to go to school Tuesday morning when the smoke detector went off in their home at 74 Wiley St. The children smelled smoke, grabbed their dog, cat and guinea pig and ran to a neighbor’s house.

Patrick Rice called 911 and alerted the fire department, according to Bangor Fire Lt. William Leighton.

When firefighters arrived the house was filled with smoke, but the flames were contained to a corner in the parents’ bedroom.

Leighton said firefighters brought the fire under control in nine minutes. The bedroom was damaged heavily by smoke and heat, said Bangor Asst. Fire Chief Frank Dismore.

Dinsmore said the fire was caused by an overheated lamp cord that ignited a pile of clothes that were on top of a dresser in the bedroom. A pastic bottle of hairspray also ignited which enhanced the fire, Dinsmore said.

Dinsmore praised the children and their action and said as a direct result the house was saved, possibly from destruction.

“Five minutes more and that bedroom would have been fully involved,” Dinsmore said.

He said Patrick Rice was calm and informative when he called 911. He told the dispatcher that the smoke alarm was going off and that he and his sister could smell smoke.

“They did just the right thing and they should be credited for it,” said Dinsmore.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like