May 24, 2019

Visitor says he was assaulted by three men

OLD TOWN — A Saturday morning assault in Old Town hospitalized a man who said he was beaten by three men, thrown into the street and run over by a car on the bridge that connects Milford and Old Town.

Steven Smith, 32, of London, England, was visiting his family in Milford and was walking across the bridge at about 12:45 a.m. when he claimed three men attacked him from behind.

Smith remained hospitalized at Eastern Maine Medical Center on Monday afternoon. He said doctors had operated on his right ankle which was shattered during the assault. Smith, a marathon runner, said chances were slim that he would be able to run again.

“I have pins in my ankle. I had a compound fracture and tore some ligaments,” he said.

On Monday, Smith said he was frustrated because he had not been contacted by the police officer involved. Old Town Police Officer Ryan Carter was reportedly at school on Monday and could not comment on the investigaton.

According to Sgt. Steve Hatch, there was very little information recorded about the assault. He said he was not even sure if it happened in Old Town or Milford.

Smith said he was walking alone across the bridge and saw the three men ahead of him. He said one of the men said that “I was on their bridge and I would have to go around them.” Smith said when he tried to walk around the three men they attacked him from behind.

Smith said one of the men tried to reach into his pocket, presumably to rob him. Smith carrys Mace with him and was able to squirt the disabling liquid into the face of the three men.

“They were carrying a 12-pack of beer and the beer smashed all over the ground. They got real angry and two of them grabbed me and just threw me into the middle of the road,” said Smith.

Once in the road, Smith said he was run over by a car, which resulted in his broken ankle. He said the occupants of the car stopped long enough to drag him out of the middle of the road, but then jumped back into the car and drove off.

Smith lay on the side of the road until an ambulance arrived and he was taken to EMMC.

Smith, who is enrolled in England’s national health plan, said his insurance in England would not cover him in the United States.

“My hospital bill is nearly $10,000, and I’d like to see these guys get caught,” Smith said. “I just can’t believe no one saw anything. Even though it was very late there was still a lot of traffic. I’d like to think someone knows something and could help catch the guys that did this. They’ve really messed my life up.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like