November 18, 2019
BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Firefighters respond to two chimney fires

CALAIS — Assistant Fire Chief Danny Carlow of the Calais Fire Department reported the following fire activity for the week ending Feb. 1.

On Monday, Jan. 28, firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire in St. Stephen, New Brunswick. The fire was of a minor nature and was handled by the St. Stephen Fire Department. Also Monday, firefighters responded to the report of a chimney fire at 24 Lincoln St. Carlow reported there was no damage to the structure.

On Thursday, Jan. 31, at 8:48 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of a chimney fire at the Barry Nielson residence at 48 Swan St. When firefighters arrived, the fire had spread from the chimney to the second floor where combustible materials were stored. Carlow said a bookcase and books caught on fire and the fire spread to walls and the ceiling. He said the house received extensive smoke damage.

Carlow said a smoke detector alerted the family to the fire and one of the Nielson children, Bryce Nielson, who had been trained in fire safety as a Boy Scout, closed the upstairs door and prevented the fire from spreading.

About 20 firefighters from Calais and St. Stephen were at the scene for about one and a half hours. He estimated damage to the house at $5,000.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like