June 16, 2019

10 years ago — August 29, 1980

(As reported in the Bangor Daily News)

Richard Lee of Walter Street, Bangor, could not believe his good fortune after finding his car keys among seven tons of trash at the Sawyer Landfill in Hampden. Lee said he accidentally threw the keys into a trash dumpster. When he learned the dumpster had been taken to the landfill, he went to the site, searched and found the keys in 30 minutes.

The New Shoreham II, a 142-foot cruise boat out of Warren, R.I., with a spanking white hull and 72 sightseers aboard, came up the Penobscot River to Bangor. It is believed to be the first large passenger vessel to come to Bangor since the Boston boats stopped running nearly 40 years ago.

25 years ago — August 29, 1965

A spokesman for the Brewer Fluoridation Committee said that “time is running out” on the group’s drive to get 412 petition signatures in time for a fall referendum. Mrs. Donna Herweg, publicity chairman, reported four names have been listed on the petition.

Construction is rushing ahead for Bangor’s new television station, WEMT — Channel 7 — to go on the air Sept. 12 with the full ABC program. William H. Hart, station manager, said the transmitter is being installed in the new building atop Blackcap Mountain in Eddington and that the tower will be completed Sept. 8.

Curtis M. Hutchins of Bangor, chairman of the board of the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad, will be nominated as one of 12 directors for Northeast Airlines. The Bangor industrial leader will be one of seven new nominees.

50 years ago — August 29, 1940

Maine National Guard officials said they did not anticipate “any considerable number” of guardsmen would avail themselves of the opportunity to resign under provisions of the law governing national mobilization for active military service under the defense program. They explained that during the past 18 months various units in the guard “have been pretty well cleared of married men and others who were dependent on their civilian salaries,” with many relinquishing their military service at the end of their enlistments.

Damaged heavily Wednesday afternoon was the fine farm home of Milo Crook in East Orrington. Fire razed a milk room and the ell and gutted the main house. The fire broke out around the chimney in the milk room. Brewer firemen, after a fast run with two trucks, were able to stop the fire in the main house despite the fact that the flames had made great headway when the department arrived.

From about 5:30 to 7 o’clock Wednesday night, many Bangor citizens witnessed the unusual spectacle of countless small flies, swirling over city streets, particularly in the principal business sections of the city. Where they came from, no one seemed to know.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like